Families and Technology
Tools and tips for SLV families managing children and their technology.
- Managing Technology - Tips for the first generation of parents raising children that never knew the world without the internet in the palm of their hands.
- Technology Tools - Technology to manage technology.
- Chromebooks - Important tips setting them up, family contracts and current models.
- Smart Phones - Is your child ready for a smartphone? Family contracts, managing phones, why they're important.
- Online Safety - Basic information with links to further details.
- Raising Humans in a Digital World by Diana Graber of cyberwise.org
- Surviving Your Child's Adolescence by Carl Pickhardt
- Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne (and Podcast)
- The Teenage Brain by Frances Jensen
- How to Hug a Porcupine (Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years)
- CyberWise.org - Information for parents of tweens and teens
- Internet Safety 101 - Helpful parent guides.
- Common Sense Media's Family Engagement Resources. (Our students learn about common sense digital citizenship at school.)
- Tech Talk Tuesday Blog - Thoughtful discussions to have with your tween/teen - Addiction, Bullying, Social Media, Cell Phones, College, Distraction, Digital Citizenship, Health, Mental Health, Homework, Monitoring, Parenting, Pornography, Sexting, Privacy, Rules, Screen time, Self Control, Video Games, etc.
Signup for weekly e-newsletters that provide ongoing parenting ideas in this information age.
- Common sense in your inbox - Plugged-In Parent Weekly, Kids in Context Weekly, #DeviceFreeDinner
- Screenagers - Tech Talk Tuesday Weekly newsletter/ideas - Conversation starters about social media, video game use, tech tips, research & more